Walter T. Kelley Book

My Bee Guy loaned me a book that I've been reading through and, because it was a loaner, taking notes. I read a couple of interesting pointers that I haven't come across elsewhere so I'll jot them down here because I will likely loose the notebook I wrote them in.

How to Keep bees and Sell Honey

These all come from How to Keep Bees and Sell Honey by Walter T. Kelley . My edition was the 1976 edition which is still available in used copy but I see that a new, updated version is available.
If you're thinking the name Walter T. Kelley rings a bell, you're right. They're still around and are a successful bee supply company.

The first interesting tip has to do with treating stings. He suggests dissolving a quarter teaspoon of meat tenderizer (the sort with papain enzyme, not something like TenderQuick) in 1 teaspoon of water and rubbing it into the skin immediately after being stung. I've not been stung yet so I haven't tried it. If you do, let me know how it works.

This next one mostly just cracks me up and I am in no way suggesting you actually do this.
When dealing with very mean bees it is suggested that you add a half teaspoon of Ammonium Nitrate (fertilizer) to your hot smoker. This will produce massive amounts of smoke and completely immobilize the bees. It goes on to say that care should be taken lest other bees come around and rob or destroy the hive while they are all knocked out.
Also, by burning Ammonium Nitrate you are producing Nitrous Oxide (laughing gas) which you should "avoid inhaling". Ya think?
Did you see this post in which I break my foot? And this one where I punch my own self in the dadgum mouth? So this is one tip you will never see used in the Frugal Apiary.

It also had some interesting diagrams showing the different dances that bee perform. I'd heard of the waggle dance, of course, but had not seen diagrams showing how bees use the orientation of the sun and different points in the hive to communicate. Very interesting stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment